Ok…thanks to Sheila again at Live Well 360 for inspiring me to take action on something I've ignored for some time now. Yes, I completed a few different mini-challenges for myself through the holidays. I love taking action and with the mini-goals, I felt active and gained so much strength from them. But now it's time to take my actions a step further and reach for some bigger goals.
I read the 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris earlier this year (2009)…but really without taking any action. I didn't do any of the exercises or implement any of the author's suggestions. But recently I have been reading more and more of the Tim Ferris blog – and found out about the release of the updated version of his book. Now is the time to take action. Not just mini steps or mini challenges, but big steps and life changing goals.
This year has all about bringing balance, health and happiness back into my life. I don't have to tell you the dirty deets again, but needless to say this was a year of big internal changes for me. 2008 was crisis land. 2009 was bringing a sense of peace back into mine and my family's life.
So, now as I start my journey into 2010, I've decided to really get on it and make some profound changes that I can share with all of you–my family, friends, clients, and cohorts.
I have picked up the New, Expanded version of the book the 4 Hour Work Week and started it over the weekend. I encourage you to do the same. You can also get the audio or kindle version if are a little more mobile. Keep in mind that the book version forces me to sit still and not multi-task.
Start now, I'm going on a Low-Information Diet, Media Fast. I need it for many reasons, but now I'm going to follow Ferris' advice.
So, here are the guidelines I'm setting for myself over the next 5 days…
1. I will only be checking email about 2 times per day in the morning and evening.
2. I will only be using the web to post new articles to my blog.
3. I will only be updating twitter/facebook 2 times per day during this 5 day period and not spending any time following up on the live/news feed from my friends.
4. I will only be listening to the audiobook or reading the hardcover version of the 4HWW.
5. I will listen to music but not surf for it on the web
6. I will not watch the news or visit any other site with gossip-news.
7. I will drink lots of different teas, enjoy music, write as much as possible…and not watch tv – easy since my inlaws are mostly watching Russian this week anyways.
8. If you see multiple tweets or facebook updates they have probably been pre-scheduled to post…so I don't have to be tempted.
9. I will be posting a run down of my days on a private forum I'm a member of…but this will be to help me stay sane…can't go into solitary confinement for a week.
10. I will keep active – do my Red Carpet Ready workouts and enjoy outdoors activities and yoga!
I know it's going to be a tough week…I'm usually very hooked into the web and I'm always getting the email notifications on my iphone. I am ready to let it all go and turn inward. I have a few pilates classes to teach this weekend, but in general, I won't need to contact anyone via email for a few days!
If you are reading the Four Hour Work Week, I'd love to hear from you! Let me know if you have done, are doing, or just starting the Media Fast for the next week too!
I will be checking in with a video or audio message, so if you are also going through this book, I would really love to hear from you. Email me!